Why I'm here....

Since I've always been quick with an opinion an old friend once lost and again found suggested that perhaps I should share with more people my commentary. Never being one to pass on a challenge I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Party Observations...

So tonight I attended a candle party hosted by a friend. I had met a couple of the people before, others I had read their blogs or heard about and some of them I had absolutely no knowledge of what so ever. As people sat around engaging in different conversations I found myself mainly listening and learning what I could. I also went back through my mind to the many parties I had either given or attended over the years. I thought about how much I had changed and in some ways how little I had changed. The old me of twenty years ago would have followed my friend around the house, not straying far from where he was. I would have done this for many reasons, mainly due to insecurities and somewhat for attention. The old me would have monopolized conversations instead of listening. The person who sat there tonight was mainly interested in listening and every so often partaking in the conversations that were going on. I looked around and thought about how there is always that person who is the center of attention at the party, whether they are attempting to be or not. There is always that one couple that looks like and acts like the perfect couple. There is always that one person who is odd man out if for no other reason than they just don't seem to fit the picture. Tonight I saw them all; however, the difference in this party and others I have given or attended was that each person did their best to make sure all were engaged in conversation and that no one was left out. The host took time for each person and showed great ability in making sure his guests needs were met whether it was food, game or conversation. So when I was driving home I got to thinking back through the years at the parties and I took two of the pictures from my favorite party I think I was ever involved in. I have them posted here on this blog. It was a Halloween Party that Joe and I gave together in 1989. He dressed up as Dead Marylin Monroe back from the grave. He signed autographed photos (To my sister in Sin, Marylin) and really did a good job of being in character. I was in goth attire. Either way you slice it there is nothing better than just sitting around and getting to know people or simply sitting back every once in a while at a good party and just enjoying the little observations that one might miss if they were to not listen ever so closely. Scavenger Hunt Anyone?

No comments: