Why I'm here....

Since I've always been quick with an opinion an old friend once lost and again found suggested that perhaps I should share with more people my commentary. Never being one to pass on a challenge I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Saturday, July 25, 2009

One Man's Trash...

Surely you've heard the old saying, "One man's trash is another man's treasure". If you want to see if you can prove this theory just spend a Saturday morning going from garage sale to garage sale. You'll find a wide variety of stuff that people have decided they can now live without and they no longer treasure. You may even find a treasure or two that you just can't leave without buying. You can also find some of the oddest items while perusing these sales as well. I love going garage selling; however, I do not enjoy buying anymore. As I have gotten older I have gotten more and more to where I would rather live life like I'm living in a hotel. I mean I want only the items I absolutely need to survive and maybe a few extra items. Having had a couple of garage sales this year myself and having talked with friends that have had them it seems that garage sales are not doing well this year at all. As I was discussing with friends this is odd seeing as how in this economy you would think people would be going to garage sales to find bargains on items they may need. I find this especially true if you have children. They go through so many clothes so I would think parents would want to get them as inexpensively as possible. As for having a garage sale it sometimes surprises me that so many people have them. If done correctly they take a lot of time and effort. There is hardly ever any way you will make the kind of money it would take to pay for time spent watching the sale, setting it up and then tearing it down. I recently had a neighbor who had a garage sale. I wouldn't exactly classify them as the brightest bulbs in the box. They set it up on a Thursday night with the weather forecast being rain and thunder storms. They didn't even bother to tarp the items of stuff they had laid out. It rained all night long on their items. They left the stuff out in the yard for a week before cleaning it up and even though today they had the items cleaned up, their signs are still up and have not been taken down stating that they are indeed having a sale. Either way the economy is killing the garage sale fever that use to flash through state of Indiana at one time. I suppose people today are no longer interested in one mans trash or his treasure. If you're going to have a garage sale though it's best you check that forecast and hopefully you'll find sunny skies. Have you gone garage selling lately? Find any treasures? See any odd items? See anything that looks like it should have been featured on "The Liars Club"?

1 comment:

ida said...

my daughters early years was mainly garage sale clothing. and alot of her toys. if i hadnt yard saled i dont know how i could have afforded it.

yard sales are the bomb. i just dont go myself much anymore becouse i have no wants right now.