Why I'm here....

Since I've always been quick with an opinion an old friend once lost and again found suggested that perhaps I should share with more people my commentary. Never being one to pass on a challenge I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Houston We Have Bees.. Yet Again.

My house seems to be the place that bee's live for. Last year it was yellow jackets. This year I have carpenter bees. It appears that these bees love unpainted or unfinished wood and that they love to drill tiny holes and burrow in so that they can lay their eggs in tiny caverns and then seal the eggs in with food so that the bees can mature in their sealed cocoon in the wall. Unlike other bees there is no queen bee and no male bees around. The single female bee will tend to her colony of baby bees until they are grown all on her own. These bees appear to be relatively quiet during the day. I hear some stirings in my ceiling in my bathroom, but not much. At night though it's like a loud purring of multiple cats up there. I'm not really sure what that is all about. From everything I have read these bees are relatively harmless; however, I don't see how I can let them live in my bathroom ceiling. I know there is going to be a down side to it somewhere and I really don't relish the idea of finding out what it is at a most inopportune moment. On the other hand I despise the thought of killing any living thing. I usually catch bees or spiders or what have you and put them outside. I even went so far one time as to take a mouse I had caught to the park in a Tupperware container and set it free. I have a live and let live policy in life. I don't step on ants, I don't kill flies. I am guilty of killing fleas and mosquito's, but i would rather not. So I don't relish the idea of killing these poor bees and I have no idea on how to go about doing it either. Either way. I knew when I heard that purring sound a month ago that something was up. Bees be back once again.

No comments: