Why I'm here....

Since I've always been quick with an opinion an old friend once lost and again found suggested that perhaps I should share with more people my commentary. Never being one to pass on a challenge I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Years Happen Every Day...

Do you think bears come out of their long winter nap to celebrate a day that falls in the middle of some of the most miserable weather one could possibly have in the state of Indiana? I personally have never been a fan of this holiday. It seems most people soul intent on New Years is to see how wasted they can get and whom they might even go home with. Now I have an occasional drink and in my younger days I did the party scene and the bars, so I remember it well. What I remember was feeling like crap and wasting a bunch of money I didn't need to on mindless guzzling of a product that basically poisons your system. I remember being at a party on New Years where I was totally uncomfortable because drinks were not the only item there and as much as I have done things in my life, coke on a mirror ain't one of them. I remember another New Years where some friends and I were driving home from a party and someone shot at the car we were in. Yeah that was fun. Yet another where the guy I was out with was so drunk he threw up in his car and on the side of his car. Hum... more fun. Oh and then lets not forget the New Years I went out with what I thought was a friend because she didn't want to be alone. Now some years back I vowed to be either at work, at home or with friends playing cards on New Years. The rest of it I had decided I wanted nothing to do with. So I agreed against my desire to go out to go to a movie with this girl. I picked her up and we headed to a movie. Everything I said, she corrected me or told me it was some other way. Then she started complaining about this guy she's been after for more than a couple of decades and how he is choosing to spend the evening with his friend Jeff instead of her. (I have told her on multiple occasions this guy is gay.) I had saved some money for popcorn and food and stuff because I knew this girl would be broke as usual, but on the ten minute drive to the theatre she complained so much that when we got to the movies I bought myself a kiddie popcorn and pop and stood and waited for her. Somehow the desire to feed her had left my thoughts. So she chose the movie. Dollar theatre. It was an OK movie. We didn't talk much during it. Then after the movie I told her we could go back to her place and talk if she wanted and I could buy us a pizza or if she wanted to go out to eat we could do that. I proceeded to tell her what was open. She complained the whole way there too. We went to IHOP and our waitress's due date was January 2ND and she was ready to pop and looked exhausted. I felt very sorry for her. After we ordered this woman showed me a diamond ring that this guy had given her for Christmas. I said oh, is that an engagement ring? She said he didn't say and he didn't answer when I asked him. I dropped that conversation right there. No guy is going to give you a diamond ring and not say something, but I wasn't going there. I figure this guy is just keeping her around for his family to think he's straight. The ring was just a little bling bling to keep her hooked. The whole time we sat there she complained about everything and made the poor waitress's life more miserable than it all ready was. I wanted to sink my head in the sand and I couldn't wait for the night to be done. So finally our bills came and she said the oddest thing: "Ha, my bill is cheaper than yours." I ignored it and got out the gift card my dad had given me for Christmas. She had picked the movie, and she had picked the place we ate and now she was pissed at me for having a gift card. She said quote: "I would have picked somewhere else if I had known you had a gift card." She was mad because my meal was being put on a gift card I got at Christmas. She wanted it to cost me money. I was dumbfounded and I tipped the waitress well. I drove this woman back to her house and haven't spoken to her since. As a matter of fact if I see her in stores I avoid her. So my run with this night is not a very good one. There is also the fact that I don't' get why we celebrate it. Who cares if the year on the calendar is changing? Every day you live is another year that has gone by in your life from the last time you were on that calendar date. Another calendar year for you personally would be called your birthday. The calendar year we are celebrating is a man made calendar to keep track of time. So I don't understand the holiday. I'm sure it has some significant meaning that I have no idea about, but to me it's just another day. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate and thank God for each and every day so being just another day is an important thing to me. Whatever your take, may God smile on your life with each new year or new day that you live. Happy New Years!

3 comments:

Ritchie said...

For me it is just a day off. New Years Eve I do what I have done for years. I stay up and watch Dick Clarks Rock'n New Years Eve. This was Dick Clarks last year according to what they just said. He had a stroke a year or two ago and can hardly talk. I never was into partying.

I think the original intention may have been for the American workers to have a day to rest. That day to rest was the first day of the year. Now, people get together to watch football or just take it easy. There is the crowd that will get waisted tonight. I hope all of those people who decided to get waisted get home safely.

Anonymous said...

I laughed a lot while reading this posting ... been there, done that, got the t-shirt!

You caught her persona so well!

Anonymous said...

omg.......what a waist of a woman to act like that. so hmmmm not happy. sorry you spent new years like that. i was at home camping out not watching dick clark per sea. but it was on. i only watched like 30 min of it. personally i was happy the gun fire was on the low this new years. probley becouse i had called the cops a couple of times the last week. kinda settled down the neighborhood. plus they did alot of warrent sweeps the last few weeks. basicly everyone i knew was at work, or in fort wayne. so after the ball dropped i went straight to bed.

the last new years i got waisted was back in 92. that was pretty much also the end of my party days too.