Why I'm here....

Since I've always been quick with an opinion an old friend once lost and again found suggested that perhaps I should share with more people my commentary. Never being one to pass on a challenge I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Friday, December 12, 2008

Made it!

OK, I'm really groggy and heavily medicated so if this doesn't make sense, please try to forgive me. I figured I'd try to post this before going into never never land. Surgery went well per Dr. Schreck, at least that is what he told my family. He's a really cool doctor. We had to be at Lutheran this morning at 5:30am. Lots of questions, getting prepped and nose spray that I had to use before surgery. The people at Lutheran are so professional and very nice. I highly recommend using them if you are unfortunate enough to need surgery. The needle going into my left hand for the IV hurt like crazy. The IV fluids going in also made me very very cold. The nurses brought me warmed blankets. I thought that was really cool. They felt like they had just came out of a big dryer. My surgeon and anesthesiologist both came by to see me before surgery. My doc helped but my nerves to ease a little and again assured me he's not leaving any facial bruising. So far so good. Then when I went off to the surgery room my doctor was all ready in there waiting. No putting it off. Drugs in the IV, mask over the nose and I was down for the count. That was at 7AM. I woke up in recovery at 8:38AM and the first thing the nurse said to me was "No rolling over on your side." I was shivering so badly I could hardly stand it so they brought me more warmed blankets and gave me some Demerol and fentinal for the pain and to help with the shivering. Then the nurse brought me ice chips and fed them to me. Nice sentiment, bad mistake. The cold sent pain to my face. So we switched to room temp water with a straw. Much better. I was in recovery until almost 10, then out in the regular room area where my family was brought in to be with me. My throat is sore, my face is starting to feel swollen and sore and my head is hurting some. All normal I am told. I was released around 11:40am and got home around noon. I really want to sleep but so far my phones have been ringing. Guess it's good to be loved. All except that last call. Metlife was calling me today to confirm information about my short term disability. Can you believe that? Not even time to start healing and the vultures are circling. They could at least let my carcass get stiff. Oh well, got that out of the way I guess. Anyway my head is really starting to hurt. I just wanted to let you all know I'm home and I survived and the healing process is beginning. Thanks.


Ritchie said...

Hopefully the gain will be worth the pain. Hopefully you will be better than new when this is done. Hope you feel better soon!

ida said...

way cool. glad you in the land of the living again.