Why I'm here....

Since I've always been quick with an opinion an old friend once lost and again found suggested that perhaps I should share with more people my commentary. Never being one to pass on a challenge I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Milton Bradley and McDonalds

Fast food chains may come and go, but there will never be another McDonald's or even another game like Monopoly. The memories that both of these items holds for me is as long a list as President Bush's wish list of things he now wishes he hadn't done or said while in office. Some of my fondest memories growing up were of a family ritual. Every Wednesday night dad took the family to McDonald's. We didn't have a lot in my earlier years. Sometimes money got pretty tight but dad always managed to get us there. If it were your birthday and you were in there whatever change was left (and back then that was a pretty good sum) was yours after paying for the meal. It wasn't necessarily the food that holds the memories so dearly as the time spent with family. In the earlier years when I was little we would always eat in the car. My brother and I in the back of course. But as time got along we started eating inside. It's not even just my immediate family that I have memories with. I remember being there with friends, some still alive some not, and my grandmother on my mom's side. With aunts and uncles and on school trips. I remember the commercials about two all beef patties and the big mac when it first came out as well. I also very clearly and vividly remember playing McDonald's Monopoly game. My grandmother Jezzie won $100 way back in the late 70's. I have won food items before. Somehow just the daydream that maybe one might win made it exciting. I don't think people get as excited about the little things anymore. We have too much and do too much. I'm remembering that more and more as I walk and think each day. I'm reconnecting with some inner roots and music that I had forgotten I enjoyed so much. Monopoly in case you didn't know it is back. It's got a twist this year. There are two ways to play. You can play on the paper boards and keep track of your pieces, but on each piece is also a code that you can enter at the web site and roll the dice to pick up online pieces. So you have two possibilities of winning. Online I won 25 my coke rewards points today. That was pretty nifty. Not money, but I'll take it. I do want to tell everyone if you eat there I know how tempting it is to order the value meals, just because it's easy, but they really don't save you much money. I usually buy my hamburger, small fry and a large diet. Their soda's right now if you didn't know are all $1 no matter the size. Value meals just make it tempting to over eat. I find my meager meal usually fills me up. Every once in a great while I'll splurge and buy something else, but too much salt and too many calories to want to do too much. Either way McDonald's will always be my favorite fast food restaurant. They have memories and they have food I like and now they have options like salads and yogurt. Is anyone else out there playing McNopoly as I call it? Just curious. Roll the dice, but don't over indulge for a chance that is probably pretty slim that you'll win the millions. Good luck!

No comments: