Saturday, May 30, 2009
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Monday, May 25, 2009
Friday, May 22, 2009
Thursday, May 21, 2009
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Saturday, May 16, 2009
Thursday, May 14, 2009
Sunday, May 10, 2009
Thursday, May 7, 2009
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
Sunday, May 3, 2009
- Peace Officers memorial Day, May 15Th (sunrise to sunset)
- Memorial Day, Last Monday in May (sunrise to noon)
- Patriot Day, September 11Th (sunrise to sunset)
- Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, December 7Th (sunrise to sunset)
Only the President and state Governors can decide when and how long the flag can be flown at half-staff and here are some other's that are normally observed:
- For thirty days after the death of a president or former president.
- Ten days after the death of a vice president, chief of justice or retired chief of justice, or speaker of the house of representatives.
- Until the burial of an associate justice of the Supreme Court, secretary of a military department, a former vice president, or governor of a state.
- On the day of and the day after the death of a member of Congress.
These aforementioned observations are orders of the president and are intended to be followed by all business's that fly flags. There are no rules or regulations that prohibit business from honoring a family member killed in military service or even flying at half-staff for the loss of one of their own employees. It is recommend that business who choose to do this though display some type of signage explaining their reasoning for flying the flag at half-staff. I just hope if this car dealer ever decides to leave this location that our city will take up the cause of this great flag. I love to look at it and I have found if I'm lost on some street in Fort Wayne I can always see it and I know if I drive towards it I will find Coliseum. A flag is a sign of respect for our country. A love of who we are and where we came from. I love this beautiful flag our city has. I hope it waves forever more.