Why I'm here....

Since I've always been quick with an opinion an old friend once lost and again found suggested that perhaps I should share with more people my commentary. Never being one to pass on a challenge I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

For the Love of a Storm

Nope I didn't take this photo, didn't see a name tagged to it, but nice shot.
Even though I am just like everyone else and I don't really care for the devastation and destruction that storms can leave in their path; I have loved watching and listening to storms every since I could remember. There is just something magical and mysterious about them. Yes, I have watched "Twister" more times than I care to really admit to. It's one of my all time favorite movies. I love the way the air feels after a storm has passed through. It's such a clean and refreshing feeling. For whatever reason storms always lead me down memory lane too. Tonight is no different. As I was listening to the wind and the thunder I couldn't help but go back in time to a more innocent surrounding. Memories flooded my mind of when I was little and my mother would be ironing my dad's clothes. I had this little ironing board and iron and I would get it out and iron towels, doll clothes and rags. I wanted to be just like my mother when I grew up. Funny how differnt from her I turned out to be. I also don't believe how little irons play in the role of life today. I mean she always seemed to be ironing, yet I bet you over the last ten years I haven't used mine more than half a dozen times, maybe a couple more. There were also the nights when mom would read to us because we couldn't watch television with an electrical storm going on. If not reading she might play a game of go fish or old maid with us. For whatever reason storms do take me back in time. Back to a more innocent time. A time when storms may have been scary, but mom soothed and calmed the fears. Over time I got to where I didn't fear storms. I came to understand if it isn't my time to go then the storm won't hurt me and if it is there is no avoiding it. Just a sort of acceptance and understanding that God will take care of me and my life will play out exactly as it's meant to be. So I love storms. I love to sit and watch them and would love to have a big wrap around porch that I could sit out on at night and watch them. How about you? Do you admire the beauty of the beast?

2 comments:

ritchie said...

If you like storm photo's check out this guy's blog:
http://bigstormpicture.blogspot.com/

ida said...

we had a storm that came threw on wednesday night and knocked out the power. i missed my crank up radio that we used alot of. it had solar power too so it was nice at the pool or backyard. sigh. i really need a new one. and also the clock that alerts you to tornado alerts. it was creepy with now power and nothing to warn me what was going on out there.