Why I'm here....

Since I've always been quick with an opinion an old friend once lost and again found suggested that perhaps I should share with more people my commentary. Never being one to pass on a challenge I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Saturday, February 27, 2010

To Drink or Not To Drink...



To drink or not to drink that is the question. Yeah but before you get too excited let me tell you I’m not talking about liquor. What am I talking about? I’m of course talking about water. Did you know that your body is comprised of over 50% water? They say the average male is about 60% and the average female about 55%. Your blood is comprised of 70% water. Lean muscle in the body is 75% water by weight. The human brain is 90 to 95% water. So now you’re going, “Yeah and so what?” Most people do not seem to like to drink water that I talk to. As with anything else I’ve found that water is an acquired taste. Yes I said taste. So many people tell me all the time it has no taste, but to me it does, and if it really doesn’t then why not drink it? The thing is that water is vital to your health and your well being. Did you know that drinking just 2% less than the required daily amount of water that your body needs can cause dehydration, headaches, fatigue, nausea, and forgetfulness? Let us not forget to mention that your body in its need for water will make you hungry when it actually wants water? Yep that is correct, next time you’re thinking you’re really hungry and you shouldn’t be you should drink a good 8 to 16 ounces of water to see if it goes away. Your body will crave foods because it can draw water from them. To your body it’s logical. Here is another kicker too: You can not drink soda and think you’re getting water. There is no useable source of fluid for the body in soda. Caffeine will actually dehydrate the water you have. The plain old facts are that you need to drink actual water to maintain a healthy balance. Your skin will even look healthier and your hair too if you start drinking enough of it. This doesn’t mean go over kill though because there is such a think as too much water. Every heard of too much of a good thing? The average person should consume 64 to 120 ounces of water on any given day. Still don’t think you can do it because you hate water? Well there are flavored waters sold in stores, but most of those have carbonation which is hard on the intestinal tract, but they are still a valid option. They will not be the same as plain water, but they will help. My favorite option and one I’ve been given approval by medical staff on is the Wyler’s to go and the Crystal light to go packs. If you’re not in the mood for plain water you can carry these with you and add them to water for flavoring. They contain about 5 calories a pack and are extremely good. Still plain water is better but this will work. They do not really cost all that much either. The Wyler’s drink mixes are 10 packs for $1 at Walgreens or about $1.18 at Wal-Mart’s. The Crystal Light is going to run you around $2.29 to $2.99 depending on whether you want energy drinks, regular, or immune fighting properties in the drink mix. Either way you can’t go wrong by adding a little water. Now it’s true until your body adjusts to your drinking a lot of water you will more than likely be making more trips to the bathroom, but hey look at it this way, added exercise. Your body does regulate and that slacks off after it adjusts to the amount you are drinking though. You should notice an improved difference in the way you feel after only a week and you will also notice that after a couple of weeks you really start wanting water. What are some of my favorite drink mixes? My very favorite drinks are Crystal Light Raspberry Lemonade and Wyler’s Grape. I take them with me when I go to restaurants. Extra bonus there in that I don’t buy a drink I just simply get water and add my own flavor. How can you beat that? Now the question for you is simply: To drink or not to drink? That is the question.

1 comment:

ida said...

my problem is i have to stop drinking water before i go to bed becouse even a depends cant help me..........the rest is tmi