Why I'm here....

Since I've always been quick with an opinion an old friend once lost and again found suggested that perhaps I should share with more people my commentary. Never being one to pass on a challenge I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Another Mind Boggling “Holiday”...

Valentines Day is another of those so called holiday’s I could do without. Whether I’m involved in a relationship or single, it’s one I just rightly don’t really care for. I’m one of those people who appreciate the little things with no significant reason other than that the man might care about me. I don’t want a holiday around to force him to do something nice. I also then don’t get how women can really want a man, because of said holiday, to take them out to somewhere expensive and buy them lavish gifts. Nice things and nice dinners are nice, but I am a person who appreciates the thoughtfulness behind something much more than the price tag. One of my ex’s one time left me a message at work saying I thought of you and smiled today, left you a little something for when you get home. It was intriguing. There was no holiday, no special meaning to the day other than he thought of me and left me a stuffed cat sitting there with an I love you note card under it’s paw sitting on my sofa for when I got home. My heart melted. Still does at the memory. The same ex also bought me nail polish one time and told me I had beautiful hands and he just knew this polish would shine on my nails. I was talking with a friend yesterday who I think still has it bad for their ex and we were talking about the things this person had been given. You know just because you move on from a relationship doesn’t mean you can’t cherish any good memories you had with them. I’m a firm believer though that once you’ve moved on there is no point in revisiting the relationship. I mean there is a reason it ended and that reason probably hasn’t changed is the way I look at it. If celebrating the holiday with a boyfriend though I would rather it be special time together rather than a dinner in a crowded restaurant. If he’s smart he’ll either buy dinner for us and bring it to the house and set it up or he’ll cook. Then a little movie together, a back rub, a hot bath and whatever else the evening might lead up to and I’m all good. No tons of money necessary and it’s “us” time. Have you considered reading to your lady? I don’t know how other women feel, but I love a man who’ll read to me. It doesn’t matter if it’s something I like or not. The fact that he has his arm around me and is taking the time to read, yes even if it’s the sports page, out loud for me to listen makes me sigh. You know the other day I was listening to a radio talk show and this psychologist was trying to convince women around the country that they should be flattered when a man buys them sexy underwear or intimate apparel. Guys, I’m sorry, but I don’t know any woman who wants this stuff as a gift. The psychologist said it’s a guy’s way of saying he thinks you look good and have a body good enough to wear this. Let me tell you right now guys that all the woman sees is that you want laid and you were not thinking of her when you bought it. Ladies now let me address you… go buy something with him in mind. The man shouldn’t have to do all the work on Valentines Day and if he is sweet enough to come in and rub your aching feet and not be looking for anything in return… why not give him something in return for his effort? Romance is a two way street and that is another reason I don’t like Valentines Day. It’s all set up to put pressure on the poor guys out there. Ladies he deserves to be pampered and spoiled to. So no matter what he does ladies please try to remember it’s the thought that counts and it’s a holiday made to make him feel like a failure if you ask me, but I’ll get off my down with Valentines day kick and simply say this: Have fun, enjoy and love lots, but make Valentines day every day and try to remember to say a kind word, give a soft stroke of your hand gently down the side of her or his face daily, smile at each other, be understanding of bad days and bad moods, embrace time that you share and share all that you feel, take nothing for granted and love completely. Life is a gift and no one knows how much time they have. I reflect on this constantly. My friend Andy isn’t here this Valentines day for me to even tell this, so I will say it to all my family and friends. Happy Valentines Day and God Bless and keep you all. You are loved dearly and thought of daily.

1 comment:

ida said...

well, i'm not into valentines day. i like hersey kisses and giving my daughter a card and some suckers. other then that its never been a good day for me. been snowed in a few times. usually have to work. buried my dad on that day. had surgury on that day and i'm lucky to have woken up. my dog was born that day that i know of. other then that its always kinda sucked. even my ex husband didnt want to get me anything on that day let alone anyother special day. and really no man cares to do anything special that day for me. not even a homemade cared with i care for you in it. sigh....my wonderful love life.