Why I'm here....

Since I've always been quick with an opinion an old friend once lost and again found suggested that perhaps I should share with more people my commentary. Never being one to pass on a challenge I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Thursday, September 4, 2008

An Over Zealous Pet Owner

So if you haven't figured it out my dog is a huge part of my life. I tend to worry about her much like a parent would worry about their child and least to say she's had me pretty worried for the past while. Tuesday was her day off drugs. I had been told to space a day between giving her medication. The vet did not want her on the steroids for more than three days without a spacer. I didn't think anything of that or apparently ask all the questions I should have. So yesterday my puppy appeared to be going backwards and not forwards with her recovery. She wouldn't eat and was extremely lethargic. Along with that she was throwing up bits of water and she seemed to have these trembles. They reminded me of how I shack when I have a high fever and I'm cold so I would wrap her up in a baby blanket and hold her and it seemed to calm her. So this morning, as you may have guessed, I called the vets office as soon as it opened and spoke with the vet. Apologizing for driving him nuts I explained what was going on. He then informed me it all sounded normal. He said what she was experiencing was withdrawal from the steroids. He also went on to tell me that she should be much better in twenty-four to thirty-six hours. Whew! I felt better; however, I am still not convinced there isn't something else going on. I expressed this to my vet and he told me what to watch for and told me we may have to check her for pancreatitis. Time will tell. Tonight she was a lot more alert and she ate a little, but still no real appetite. The vet said she can go 5 days without any food and be OK and that she could stand to lose a couple of pounds so she should be OK. Either way I thought I'd take a moment to update you all and to give you a clue as to where my mind has been. I had an email tonight saying they missed my blogs and couldn't wait to read something else. I promise I'll be back to my oddball behavior soon. My life has just been a little on the hectic side for the past few days. Thanks for the prayers, emails and such.

No comments: