Why I'm here....

Since I've always been quick with an opinion an old friend once lost and again found suggested that perhaps I should share with more people my commentary. Never being one to pass on a challenge I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Friday, September 12, 2008

Morals for One, Not Two...

"Judge not Least Ye Be Judged." Yet this is what we all do daily, so it's probably fitting that each and everyone of us is judged by someone every day. I would say it's even kind of human nature and not doing it takes practice. I catch myself all the time making quick snap judgements about people before I've ever given them a chance to prove me right or wrong. Think about it: we judge people by what they wear, how they look, how they talk, how much they weight, what color their skin is, what their marital status is, and even what their sexual preference is. I am sure there are a million other things too. Some of them go through our minds even before we have had a chance to process the entire situation. Some are instinct, some are prejudice, some are just our up bringing. No matter what our moral fiber though one thing holds fast in my mind. I, nor anyone else has the right to push their moral intent or ideas on me or anyone else. I agree that there are certain standards that "society" has decided are acceptable or not, but there are a multitude of mistakes that are all my own to make. No judgement needed by anyone because if I am making the wrong decisions I've found my own conscience and deep seeded regret will make me pay for the mistake much more than anyone else could possibly ever come close to. Trust me when I do tell you that I do have a few regrets in life too and most of them I knew I would regret at the time I did them. One thing I have stuck to is I would never go out with or date a married man. Isn't going to happen and trust me I've been asked out by a few; however, even though I feel it is wrong, it is not my place to make that decision for someone else or tell them how to react. I think they would regret it eventually, but it still isn't any of my business. I just don't understand what drives people to take it upon themselves to try to tell others how to live their lives. I am so grateful that I have several great friends who won't judge me to my face anyway. They are supportive and may tell me their opinion if I ask, but they don't pass judgement or sentence. I guess what I am trying to say is before you go digging for buried skeletons in my back yard, you might want to look in your own first. No one's perfect and I say thank God for that. Our faults at times make us interesting. So morals for one.. check please.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i dont know what happened i hope i didnt do something to upsit you. i got ahundred skeltons or more in my closet. and no i am not proud of them. i dated a married man for a min and it was a bad, bad, bad, bad thing to do. and it didnt do anything for me. i have never judged you behind or in front of your back. why? becouse i love you like a sister. i wish i could say oh i am sooo much better then to judge anyone. but Lord knows i have and i have alot. and i regret every judgement that i have made. only God judges and i dont have to ability to do that. i pray that everything turns out good for you sounds like you had a rough day. i even stopped judgeing gay marriage. whom am i to tell grown people that they cant be with their loved ones for the rest of their lives. sigh. i love you ida

Anonymous said...

Ida - Actually yesterday was a very good day for me. No drama in my life. This came purely out of my own need to remind myself not to judge after assuming something that wasn't true about someone, getting to know them and finding out I was wrong. Basically it was just what was rattling inside my own skull. U are a great friend and I love you too...

Anonymous said...

I think we all have done things at times we weren't proud of. Sometimes I catch my self judinging someone or something that is happening and I try to remind my self it may not be what it seems. Regrets? Plenty!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the stones we throw come back and crash through our own glass houses.

Being NON-judgmental can be difficult for us as humans, otherwise we wouldn't have been told "Judge not Least Ye Be Judged."in the first place. I've always admired your open mind, compassionate attitude and respect for individuality.