Why I'm here....

Since I've always been quick with an opinion an old friend once lost and again found suggested that perhaps I should share with more people my commentary. Never being one to pass on a challenge I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Monday, January 12, 2009

Please Don't Label Me...


If there is one thing I am, it's tired of labels. I pretty much stated that to a group of friends this past weekend. I'm sick of all the labels. I mean people label other people gay, fat, hateful, black, white, right wing, left wing, conservative, liberal, independent... label label label. Why is it as human beings we have to constantly label everything and everyone. Why can't we just enjoy being human beings together. All equal in the eyes of God. Then if we do label why do we have to do it normally with such negativity. I mean we stereo type the hell out of everything. Little girls should play with dolls and little boys with cars. Liberals must all want to spend spend spend. It's always negative. I even have labels because of the way I am. People label me as tough because of my character. I have a tendency to speak my mind. It's not tough to me though. It's just that I live my life by a rule so to speak that people should be able to have different opinions and I should be able to talk to anyone about anything. Nothing offends me except someone using God's name in vain. So I have a tendency to think that other people shouldn't get offended. No conversation is tabu and even if I don't agree with you on your point of view I always respect your right to have a differing opinion. I may try to sway you into the light of my opinion but I respect your right to have your own. I also don't like secrets and a lot of times I don't understand why certain things would be kept secret. My mind is always going and yes I am opinionated but if you are going to label me a democrat, which is probably the closest for me, understand that you can't just lump me in there as having all the same views as the party. That wouldn't be fair. I doubt seriously if you will find a democrat that agrees with everything that gets lumped under their party or a republican that agrees with all of their party. Yet no matter what is done in the name of the party low and behold we must all be going along with it. One example. Schools and their everyone must get to win nature that is lumped under the liberal party for not wanting anyone to be told they are a loser. I don't agree with it. We need to learn to lose and win and an early age is the best time to do it. So the label doesn't necessarily fit me as democrat if we take out that factor. Now then there is tough, back to that. Since I speak my mind and have a tendency to not let people see me cry if I can help it, I get called tough or sometimes even a bitch. I take my lumps and I get up and brush myself off. It's the way it is. But tough... not always so. Just because I put that tough exterior out there doesn't mean I haven't come home from time to time and cried my eyes out. So do labels really fit? In their classic definition I would have to say I think not. Either way if people could step back and think about the label they are about to give someone and if it is appropriate it might save a lot of grief for everyone. Either way it goes I just want to know when we all just get to be human and live in harmony. Stop the nit picking and fighting and name calling. Stop crying over the spilt milk when things don't go your way. Stop trying to place blame. So many people so quick to judge, so quick to place a label that can neatly categorize a person or an issue. Last time I checked the world wasn't only black and white, but rather full of many shades of gray and blue. So please don't label me from a perception that may or may not cover the whole picture. Don't label me and I'll promise not to label you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

amen on that :)