Why I'm here....

Since I've always been quick with an opinion an old friend once lost and again found suggested that perhaps I should share with more people my commentary. Never being one to pass on a challenge I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Monday, September 14, 2009

In My Own Skin...

On Saturday night I did one of my favorite things. I simply sat with friends and talked. We played a few games but for me the best thing was simply being with them. I’m always a little saddened when the evening comes to an end. At the end of the evening it was just myself and one friend sitting there talking. That is another one of my all time favorite things is to have a “real” conversation. Not that all conversations aren’t real, but in this I mean ones that are deep and from the heart. For me sometimes I forget that not all people are comfortable with these kinds of talks but luckily for me this one is. In talking with this friend I often get to see myself through someone else’s eyes. He is fairly frank and candid with me and I love him dearly for that. One thing I realize more and more all the time is how unusual my candid and direct nature is. I simply am what I am. I have no trouble when in the company of good friends and people I care about talking about any subject or any topic. I really don’t think there is one that is taboo to me. I’ve found some people to be very welcoming to this type of realness while others I think are taken quiet back by it. I also have no trouble accepting what people tell me about them. I don’t find myself judging them. After all it’s not my place and I am far from being a person who should say what feelings are normal and what ones are not. I have found that more and more though I am getting comfortable under my own skin. What an odd feeling that is too. I mean I am not in the shape I want to be in by any means yet, but I am growing to realize that although my nature is odd at best it is who I am. I love life. I love people and I believe we should all be able to be who we truly are without judgment. It shouldn’t make a difference what someone wears or their choices they should still hold as much value as anyone else. For me the realization that I am worth “it” whatever “it” might be is a good feeling. To know that my nature has found friends that welcome me without judgment as I welcome them is truly special and leaves me feeling extremely blessed. Yes for now I am growing to be quiet comfortable in my own skin. After so many years I’d have to say it’s about time.

2 comments:

ida said...

oh sheila. that's why i have loved you since 2nd grade. if you were a man i would have married you. sigh. i love your attitude. your approch to things. your viewpoint. i feel a bond with your viewpoint that i cant even express. it is refreshing to see this from someone now and then. thank you for this blog so i can hear your kind words even at 2:28am :)

Sheila said...

Thanks Ida!