Why I'm here....

Since I've always been quick with an opinion an old friend once lost and again found suggested that perhaps I should share with more people my commentary. Never being one to pass on a challenge I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Ruby Tuesday - No Ruby


My husband and I live on a pretty tight budget so we often use coupons or if we have none we look for the best place to get the most bang for our buck.  We eat at Ruby Tuesday quiet often.  Their salad bar is awesome; although, they really need to put cottage cheese on it for it to be outstanding.  You can pair entree's with the salad bar and it's usually just about a $3.00 difference so it's a nice option.  This past Tuesday we went for our usual date day/night.  We are on a very tight budget this month so we wanted to keep our night around $30.  We came in at $28.26 thanks to gift cards and coupons.   We are almost always in this restaurant in the afternoon.  On this day we were there around 1:45 pm to 2:50 pm.   The restaurant was somewhat slow.  I waited tables for eighteen years of my life so I try to give as much leave way as I can for a server having a bad day or being busy.  This is the 4th time we've had this server though so I'm done with letting her go with maybe it's a bad day.  We sat at our table for seven minutes before ever seeing her.  She took our drink orders, got them came back and got our food orders and someone else brought our food out about twenty minutes later.  We had not seen her since at our table that is.  The girl who brought out our food did an outstanding job so you know they do have some good people.  Our server checked on us about five minutes after we received our food.  Last time she would before bringing us the check.  The manager was seen a few times walking to the hostess desk, he never interacted with any of the guest.  He never does.  We even sent back food on our last visit, he saw it, stopped the server, but never came over to us to see if he could make amends or apologize.  There are two very good people there.  The host named Jacob and the bartender named Mike are awesome.   So there are some perks to the place.  This time there my husband and I decided to try their "avocado check sandwiches."  To say the least very disappointing.  Their sandwich is $10.49 with a side.  My bottom bun was completely soaked in grease.  Jake's was completely dry.  I ate it without complaint with a fork and knife.  Wendy's Avocado Chicken sandwich beats it hands down and that is fast food.  I absolutely love french fries.  I at 3 off my plate and gave up.  Fried in very old grease and they tasted really nasty.  When the server did come back by to give us the bill she never offered us desert and she took my plate without asking me how everything was.  She never did ask that.  If you're a server and more than half the food is left on the plate shouldn't you check to see why?  Just saying I would have.  The host came to take some more plates off our table to help the server out.  She did thank him for that, bonus point for her.  He asked us how everything was.  I told him the whole story and he apologized to us and said he would let management know.    Since I've been a server I usually tip around 30% as long as you do a half way decent job.  She got 16%.  Not great but not the worst.  She never thanked us for being there and she never told us to have a nice day and no she didn't know what she was getting tipped at that point.  Before I had always tipped her about 20% because she was always doing the same lame job.  We only had refills once from her and that was just the time she came to check on the food delivery, again she never asked us how it was or anything just half filled my drink.  Yes I could have gone out of my way to get more and to get her attention, I have before but this time I was simply in a lets see what she does mode.  So this Ruby Tuesday was no ruby.. no prize on our outing yesterday.  It's really too bad though because they have what it takes to pack the place, but with that kind of lack luster approach it's no wonder they were not overly crowded.  All in all it's the managers responsibility to make sure everything is done right so perhaps he needs trained or replaced.  Who's to say. 

No comments: